Thursday, July 26, 2007

yesterday, I went to the zoo.

yesterday, I went to the zoo.
it's been a long time I've been there. But it was definitely worthwhile. I hope to make it a once a week visit. it was a bit crowded, and at the end, animals started going inside for the night.
still, it was a good trip.
first, I went to the elephants. was actually hoping on drawing a bear, but they were all hiding inside. since I'm looking at mass right now, polar bears seemed best, but the elephants throw their weight around too, so they were good models.
some sketches:

after that, it was feeding time, and the elephants went inside for a bit.



so I figured I'd move on to a favourite of mine, the African wild dogs, and whip up some ink & aquarel pieces. they moved, then went inside again as well, so I was left hanging on both poses here. still I was more paying around with the ink and paint mingling by then; you get the prettiest colors and runs (though, the jpg's don't really show then). I did try to keep the masses in, like the fist's hind receding, the square shoulders against the round tummy.
finally, the elephants came back for a little.
I doodled them in pen and ink too, tough they kept moving back inside. so it's more an impression then a life-drawing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy sh*t! Thats very good work! :)

I wish I had your drawing skills!

John Suarez said...

I know all too well the "talking to air" feeling....

I added you too my art blog links as well.